Saturday, July 23, 2011

#3 Run a Marathon: Week One

I have successfully completed week one of Hal Higdon's Marathon training for Novices. I have to admit running 3 miles a day is harder than I thought it would be. I used to be able to run three miles with no problem. I guess this means that I am successfully out of shape. Hal goes on and on about not pushing too hard, that a runner is better to come to a marathon under-trained than injured from over-training. So, figuring Hal knows what he is talking about, I let myself take it easier than I would in the past and ran as much as I could which has been in the 2 mile range while, walking a song/running a song the last mile. Monday morning I am supposed to run 6 miles, however, working 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. all week with an hour commute each way might force me to run in place inside for an hour while on my lunch break unless the weather decides to stop being in the 90+ range. January seems so far away and yet, it feels like it is coming up way too fast. I am terrified that I will not make it 26.2 miles and it does not help reading about the imaginary wall runners hit at mile 20 when your body has burned up all of its reserve and runs on empty for the last 6.2 miles. Running for 4 to 5 hours (the expected beginners rate) seems insane yet exciting at the same time. At this point all I care about is finishing. I do not care if I have to crawl my way to the finish line as long as I get there. So here is to the next six months of my life being some of the best yet! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog! I'm adding you.

    Kudos on the full marathon training. I don't know if I could ever do that! Basically, you're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Thanks but you are the true amazing one. I love your blog. Bryan and I decided to pledge for your triathlon. I would love to adopt one day. I think it is awesome that Rick and Maggie are doing this.

    ReplyDelete